Friday, April 10, 2009

Obamacare???

Dr. Price, a well informed health care analyst as well as former surgeon, is an optimist to Obama’s new healthcare plan. He does not believe it is beneficial to our specific wants and needs compared to the wants and needs as a whole(the United States)

Dr. Price states the new Obama healthcare plan does not allow the people to make health care decisions but rather the government makes the healthcare decisions. He also states that we, the American citizens, buy healthcare for specific reasons ranging from access, affordability to quality all of these in which government intervention does not happen with. In doing so it would take away the purpose of why we choice certain healthcare providers over others.

Dr. Price implies the government should intervene solely by supplying the American citizens with funds in order for us to choose our own health insurance. He suggest the government should do this by using the tax system, possibly less tax expenses or greater refunds.

I am not completely aware of Obamas health care plan. The only knowledge I have on Obamas healthcare plan is from Dr. Price’s statements. From what I’m currently aware of, I believe the American people should be able to choose our own healthcare providers/plans. Everyone has different needs, for example me, having Scott and White four years ago would not have done me much good when I had to be rushed to the emergency room… seeing the closet one was in Temple and going to a different hospital could possibly not cover me. So I can understand how location and cost play a huge roll in choosing a specific provider.

I think the article should have distributed more information in detail of President Obamas healthcare plan, so we could better critique his idea compared to Dr. Prices’. If I had to choose a side I would go with Dr. Prices idea… the government can aid us with money but we should make the ultimate choice of which healthcare provider to choose.

http://online.wsj.com/video/dr-price-vs-obamacare/1B8742F2-D964-4741-AF4E-7007F7A3FD58.html

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with Rachel that Obama’s healthcare plan would not necessarily be beneficial to the American public. Why would America want health coverage that would not work for them and fulfill their needs? I t would make much more sense to me to give the public the money that the government was going to use for this program and let citizens decide what healthcare plan would be best for them and their family.

    One problem I see is that a government funded health program would not allow you to select your own doctor/ hospital. A doctor/patient relationship is very personal. You would want to choose a doctor that you felt comfortable around, treated you with respect and took good care of your medical needs. I personally want to be able to choose a healthcare plan based on my doctor being part of that plan and not having to select a doctor based on my healthcare plan.

    Competition among healthcare providers and doctors is very vital in keeping good customer service. Just like most government agencies, once competition is gone, so is the desire to “help” the customer. I do not want to be another patient in the doctor’s office taking a number, signing a million papers, and waiting for hours for my care, just like when I go get my driver’s license renewed. Does this sound like good health care to you?

    So, Obama’s health care plan would not be good to America and the money would be better spent as a credit to be used to purchase your own private health insurance.

    ReplyDelete